Official Organization Name: Also-Known-As, Inc.
Location / Region Served: New York, NY with members from around the tri-state area
Member of IKAA Since: Founding Member
Mission Statement: The mission of Also-Known-As, Inc. is to empower the voice of adult international adoptees, build cultural bridges, transform perceptions of race, and acknowledge the loss of the birth country, culture, language and biological family experienced by international adoptees.
Brief History: Recognizing the invaluable resource and experience of adult intercountry adoptees, in May of 1996, a small group of Korean adoptees in the New York metropolitan area began planning a mentorship program. Since then our mission and programs have expanded to include not only the experiences of Korean-born intercountry adoptees and families, but all families created by intercountry adoption. At the heart of the organization are adult adoptees and friends who give a voice to the international adoptee community by providing innovative post adoption services, educational programs, and community building activities, serving those on their adoption life journey.
Regular Programs, Activities and Events:
– Youth Mentorship Program (ages 7-12)
– Teen Mentorship Program (ages 13-18)
– Adoption Forums
– Annual BBQ
– Monthly Social Events
– Language Classes
– Speakers Bureau (educational opportunities for adoptees, adoption professionals and perspective and adoptive parents)
– Cultural Events & Activities
– Resources for Korean language programs
– Joint activities with local Korean American organizations that provide networking opportunities
Official Website: www.alsoknownas.org
Organization Email: firstname.lastname@example.org